We hear much more these days about people coming to harm due to the effects of Carbon Monoxide. People need to be made aware of the dangers of this deadly gas and how to prevent it.
Many people don't believe that they are at risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning but in reality everyone that uses fuel in their home such as gas are at risk and that's properly most of the population.
Almost undetectable gas
Carbon monoxide presence will never be found in you home unless you have an alarm installed. It is colourless, odourless and tasteless, making its presence difficult to detect without feeling the effects.
Carbon Monoxide poisoning can easily be mistaken for common symtoms of the flu. Symptoms include headaches, nausea, shortness of breath, fatigue, burning eyes, fainting and confusion.
Another thing what could help you detect it CO poisoning is when more than one person in the property have the same symtoms. It may just be the flu but you should get it checked out.
Signs a property has high levels of Carbon Monoxide
According to the Gov.UK website 4,000 people attend A&E each year and 50 people die due to CO poisoning which is 50 too many.
Poisoning occurs when CO replaces the oxygen in your blood, which means your heart, lungs and brain don’t get their usual vital flow of air. Even non-fatal cases can result in brain damage.
People are most vulnerable to carbon monoxide poisoning while asleep, and its undetectable nature heightens the threat.
Most homeowners need educating on carbon monoxide detectors
For the record, those beeps can mean the battery needs replacing but in more modern detectors, it means the device needs replacing.
Another danger is just ignoring those beeps.
Know where to install your alarm
A carbon monoxide detector can also be fairly ineffective if installed in the wrong place.
A home should have several detectors installed, with one in the basement and others in sleeping and living areas.
However, they should also kept clear of other spots. Don’t install a detector too close to fuel-burning appliances like furnaces or stoves or any place where the temperature drops to 5 C or less.
And of course, make sure it’s installed where you can hear it.
Your home contains some CO-producing material
Nearly 90 per cent of homes have some appliance or other element that poses a potential CO threat. The main sources of CO are wood or gas burning appliances, gas boilers, gas fires. Other possible sources include furnaces, dryers, blocked chimneys, range hoods or water heaters.
Typically, these only pose a threat if they’re malfunctioning or not properly maintained. Have fuel-burning appliances inspected on a regular basis and be sure chimneys are kept clear.
How to prevent CO poisoning
If you live in Liverpool or surrounding areas and need your gas appliances checked visit, Property-Serv.co.uk who have team of higly experienced gas enginees.
Property-Serv also carry out gas boiler servicing at a very competitive price.